Wednesday, February 22, 2023

CAMBRIDGE PORTFOLIO PROJECT: film analysis #2

Welcome back!


    As I explained a couple of posts ago, I’ve dedicated myself to watching film intros even if they don’t necessarily relate to my genre. I found this great YouTube channel called “Opening Titles” that has all of the film intros I wanted to rewatch. I've watched all types of intros, including; The Matrix, The Social network, The Godfather, and Saving Private Ryan. Since my post on Sunday, I found a lot of information regarding “Scarface” by Brian De Palma. Seeing all these analysis articles made me want to rewatch the movie again. And funny enough, the first time I watched it I didn’t pay much attention to the opening titles. I believe “we’re all conditioned to ignore opening titles” as Mrs.Stoklosa would say, and she's completely right. For this project, I’ve rewatched many films I had already seen in the past, but I realized I didn’t pay attention to the opening credits and didn’t remember them. 




    Scarface opens with a genius tactic, they use real-life footage of the Mariel Boat-lift. This boat traveled from Cuba to the coast of Florida between April 15 and October 31st in the ’80s. These videos are shot with a home camera, they show families reuniting, people praying and overall the refugees getting to Florida. They use these shots in between a sequence of black scenes and Fidel Castro giving a political speech saying Cuba doesn’t need “Marielitos” (the nickname for those who were on the boat). This is a great way to open the film since it gives a sense of credibility for the rest of the movie.




    All these videos are connected by a black screen with the credits, and that is something I would like to incorporate into my intro. I think it’s a great way of making the intro seem less overwhelming. The shots are shaky and bad quality, but that black screen in between gives it a more professional look.


Stay tuned to see how it turns out!


Sources:

    H. F. Chacon Jr. | Oct 3, 2022. (2022, October 3). An analysis and review of Scarface (1983). The Tartan. Retrieved February 22, 2023, from http://thetartan.org/2022/10/3/pillbox/scarface 


https://youtube.com/@openingtitles364



No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

The day has come, this is officially my last post for this project. Thank you for tagging along, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :) H...