Sunday, February 19, 2023

CAMBRIDGE PORTAFOLIO PROJECT: fonts

 Welcome Back!


    Today, I’ve decided to take a new route and investigate fonts. I’ve never understood the “drama” behind fonts, it seemed to be a very delicate subject to graphic designers (my entire family). I would watch my brother go on adobe and spend h o u r s changing the fonts, length, space in between, anything really. Now, after reading a couple of articles and watching videos I’ve realized, it is that deep.

    Fonts are a first impression of your text before it’s even read. It is what gives your text or even your movie personality, it’s a preview of what type of content they’re about to watch. Fonts are more than just the text itself, arranging them correctly and using them consistently is part of their design. 

    As my research went on I learned about how fonts affect audiences. Cursive fonts are elegant and normally used for formal events, invitations, certificates, or diplomas. Modern fonts are cleaner and give a more neutral look. Display/ bold fonts are meant to immediately catch the reader’s attention and make a statement. 

    Typography is one of the most important things experts comment on, it is the art of arranging and designing. For example; line length/spacing, point size, tracking, and kerning (adjustment of space in between letters). Typography sets the mood and theme, it is a reflection of your content. One key point to keep in mind is to try and keep your number of fonts to a minimum, “less is more” this shows how it’s better to have consistency with two fonts than to have seven or eight different fonts. Fonts are meant to be effective, it is important too; to leave enough white space in between, have a distinction between elements, and keep it consistent.

    Color, is the next best thing recommended by experts. It is defined as “non-verbal communication” It has its own phycology, and each color can convey different emotions. It is important to research what color fits best for your target audience. For example; red is the color of excitement, energy, passion, and danger. The color red project a lot of emotion. The font color red used in the movie “Scarface” by Brian de Palma is used to show power and even violence at first glance. 


    Overall, I would like to use the font to give a preview of my movie’s “vibe”. Usually for my type of movie intro fun and funky fonts would be used to portray the coming-of-age/ teenager genre, but for my fonts, I want to insinuate “there’s more” to that sequence of fun clips. The clips will deeply contrast with my font and that is exactly what I want, for it to feel a little uncomfortable. 

Here are some examples:




Sources:

Serifs, scripts, and everything in between: How fonts impact your content marketing. Points Group. (2023, February 15). Retrieved February 19, 2023, from https://pointsgroup.com/serifs-scripts-and-everything-in-between-how-fonts-impact-your-content-marketing/ 


Typography is a vital component in the world of advertising. Evok Advertising. (2020, June 2). Retrieved February 19, 2023, from https://evokad.com/typography-a-vital-component-in-the-world-of-advertising/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

The day has come, this is officially my last post for this project. Thank you for tagging along, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :) H...