Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Music Marketing Project Conclusion

 Our music marketing project has finally been finished and presented and I am very proud to say we got an A :)

When we were first presented this project I’m not going to lie i was pretty nervous about having to work with a group. Yes, I am that control freak that likes everything done her way, so I always struggled with group projects. Luckily I got back together with a group I had worked together before so I felt confident enough. They were younger than me there was that unspoken barrier of me being a “senior” so I believe i was taken for a know it all, when in reality I had no idea what was going on just like them. 

As I talked about in my last blog post, we were assigned all different genres. My group and I got Indie rock, there was no better pick for our group. It seemed as if it was written in the stars. We all got to work so fast we ran through a million ideas like a race. We agreed upon the song “The Man” by the Killers. This song gave off major 80’s vibes and we all felt it. As you should know by now we had to begin the assignment with a research chart, which was actually extremely beneficial in the end. We all got to research two record/ recording companies for our case studies. This part of the assignment helped us not just understand but really analyze the processes of creating a successful band (the point of the whole project). We learned about marketing strategies, social media fan interactions, and tour benefits. All of these came in more handy than we ever could’ve expected. 

We proceeded to working together to find how our music video would work. As you should know what a hassle this was (if u don't go to my last blog post), it ended up being some great bonding time for our group. We were all talking of shows, movies and other music videos we could take inspiration from. We discussed; Stranger Things, Dancing in the Dark, The Breakfast Club, That 70’s Show and the “Take On Me” music video. 

As we all chattered excitedly about our upcoming music video and marketing campaign, ideas came and went. We took much inspiration from our case studies specially when it came to target audience and brand marketing. We focused on; social media reach, merch, distribution, and logo. We all chose a different job we felt comfortable with.

As expected, I automatically named myself in charge of the music video, and lucky for me they all agreed. Now, I wont repeat everything you guys already know, but I had so much fun making that music video it made me question all my life decisions. It was such a surreal experience to for the first time ever have the creative space to finally develop what I love so much to do. My inner bossy self continued to tell everyone where to stand, how to pose, where to look, what to wear, which way to walk… and they listened!! I knew for the beginning i wanted a very asthetically pleasing look while the video still being a promo for the band. We had so much fun dancing and messing around, I believe it’s what made the video genuine. As seen by the end, we all dance the breakfast club iconic detention dance. In reality it was us joking around talking about the movie, and It ended up making the cut and I believe its one of the scenes it makes the video fun and interesting to watch. I played with camera angles and movements spontaneously just pretending I was some fancy movie producer who knew what they were doing.

But nothing compared to the editing. I believe it was probably hard and a little confusing for the rest to film the video since they quite didn’t comprehend how I planned to edit. But for me, it was glory to put all those videos together. Even though, we filmed for two days straight, that 1 min and 30 video captured the essence just the way I wanted it to. I enjoyed editing those cross-cutting shots no matter now long they took, looking at the outcome was incomparable. 

For our presentation, we planned everyone’s slides and their explanations. The nervousness was in the air, we were the first group to present, and I was proud to be the first. I wanted to show off our awesome presentation we worked so hard on, and I confidently wanted to set the standard (I believe we did:) Out of unexperience, i found us to relay too much on our flash cards, but I believe it  necessary to really go in depth for each subject properly. My favorite part was looking to people’s reactions to our music video. Not out of pride, but genuinely to see how would it be perceived by others. 

Overall, this project did not only encourage me to change majors, but also helped me create a greater understanding of how marketing works in the media world. I did not only create some hilarious memories with my group, i grew to understand the depths of production. If i could go back in time to do it all again, I would. Not to change anything, just simply to get that trilling feeling of directing all over again.  

Link to the video down below :)

https://youtu.be/y_-Swg4ZITM




No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

The day has come, this is officially my last post for this project. Thank you for tagging along, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :) H...