Friday, February 17, 2023

CAMBRIDGE PORTAFOLIO PROJECT: film analysis #1

 Welcome back! 


For this blog post, I would like to research and analyze films from the same genre I would like to produce. The thing is, I’m not sure I have a set or specific genre for my project. It could be called a coming of age? But then it has this big plot twist, drama? Maybe... it’s not necessarily “dramatic”. Instead, I’ll leave it as “to be determined”, and I’m going to show film intros I’m inspired by and how they’re going to impact my own production. 

“10 things I hate about you”- Gil Junger






    As mentioned previously in my first blog post, this movie is a great inspiration not just with the opening but with the mise-en-scene, it truly captures 1999. This movie is a vague adaptation of “The Taming of the Shrew” by Shakespeare, it is said to be one of the best film adaptations following many failures in the past. This movie’s design is not flashy or complicated but accurate. From the clothing to the music, this intro starts off simple. We’re introduced to the main settings of the film, such as their neighborhood and high school. 

    Two cars approaching the camera are shown; one blue bubbly car, full of young girls smiling, dancing, and having fun suggests the idea of a typical teenager, but then in dramatic contrast, we are introduced to the main character Kat Straford. She appears in an old-looking red car by herself, this suggests that she doesn’t have many friends and is not a typical teenager. 

    The song that was previously playing in her car “Bad Reputation” - by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, is still playing as the scene goes on. This song does not only represent the year the movie is set in but also sings the words; “ I don’t give a damn ‘bout my reputation, A girl can do what she wants to do and that’s what I’m gonna do.” Giving the perfect representation of the main character's personality. 

The intro continues with a wide shot of the school, it gives off the impression of a high-class modern high school. Kids are shown playing hockey with roller skates and a full high shot shows all the students representing the fun environment. 

    Kat is shown walking in as she tears down a poster, this is one of the first acts of anger we see of her. One thing they need to understand about her character is that she is ANGRY. Kat is as some would be described a “raging feminist” in her eyes the world is gross and misogynistic. She describes Hemingway as “ an abusive, alcoholic, misogynist who squandered half his life hanging around Picasso trying to nail his left-overs.".

    Overall, this film’s intro does a great job of introducing the characters. I would like to also focus on using mise-en-sene to develop my characters with music, color, and clothing. 


Sources:

Wilkinson, A., Grady, C., Romano, A., & Frank, A. (2019, March 29). 10 things I hate about you is as fresh as ever, even 20 years later. Vox. Retrieved February 17, 2023, from https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/29/18287403/10-things-i-hate-about-you-20-anniversary-heath-ledger-julia-stiles-shakespeare 


 Junger, D. by G. (n.d.). 10 things I hate about you: Film review: Spirituality & practice. 10 Things I Hate about You | Film Review. Retrieved February 17, 2023, from https://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/films/reviews/view/1878/10-things-i-hate-about-you 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CREATIVE CRITICAL REFLECTION

The day has come, this is officially my last post for this project. Thank you for tagging along, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did :) H...